Monday, April 14, 2008

New Things going on!

Well last week we finished up with the letter 'J' and the number 12! The kids learned the sound of the letter, how to recognize it and did some letter J worksheets and coloring pages. We practiced our counting up to the number 12 this week. Though, I know that some of the kids can count higher than this already, I want to really work on recognizing the numbers and letters and being able to associate that when reading and when counting. So we did some counting games and hiding the number 12 around and having to find the right number. Whoever found the number 12 got to hide the numbers the next time. This was alot of fun.
This week we will be taking a break once again from our letters and numbers to celebrate Spring! We are going to learn about spring and what things happen during the season. We will be doing some spring projects, reading some books, and taking some nature walks around the neighborhood to see spring in nature!



We will be talking about bugs, flowers and how they grow, trees and leaves, grass, rain, birds and new animals, and the months of the year spring is typically associated with. It will be a fun-filled two weeks of activity.
Another new activity I am going to try with the kids is reading a chapter book to them so they have something to look forward to each day. Every day we will read a minimum of one chapter per book (or however long they will listen for) and then talk about ideas from the story. This way they have to learn how to wait for the next chapter until the next day and get excited to find out what happens. We will maybe try and do a little project for each book too, kind of like a book report to some extent. This way they can learn how to remember parts out of a story. I will choose books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, James and the Giant Peach, etc. I was an English major in college, so I am very excited to start this new venture with the kids and hope they will be too. We will start that this week.
I think this is all of the new updates that I have for now. Please let me know if you ever have any suggestions or ideas that would be fun for the kids to do. I am always up for new ideas!
Have a Happy Week!

No comments: